- ½ Red Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 Tomatoes
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Chilli
- 250g Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- 150g Basmati Rice
- 450ml Boiling Water
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Pinch of Ground Cumin
- 1 Pinch of Ground Red (cayenne) Pepper
- 1 Large tsp of Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp of Honey (If vegan leave this out or use an alternative)
How To Make
1. Remove the skin and hard ends from the onion and garlic and finely dice. Finely chop the tomatoes. Remove the core and seeds from the bell pepper/ capsicum and finely chop. Remove the top from the chilli and slice (do not remove the seeds). Drain the beans. Rinse the rice to remove excess starch.
2. Put the rice in a pan, add the water, bring to the boil and cover with the lid. Reduce the head and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the water has evaporated. Keep an eye on the rice and add a little more water if required.
3. Meanwhile, please the oil in a pan and heat over a medium to high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until they soften. Add all other ingredients except the honey, then using a stick blender, pulse for 6 seconds, so that some of the chilli is blended to create a thicker sauce, but the majority is still in it's original form. If you don't have a stick blender, you can blend 4 tablespoons in a blender and then return to the pan and mix well.
4. To serve, put a generous scoop of rice on your plate and pile the veggie chilli on top.