Sweet Cherry Tomato and Roasted Pepper Soup
This recipe is taken from:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 12 cherry tomatoes, stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Crushed black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Remove the stalks and seeds from the peppers and chop into small chunks
- Peel the onion and chop into chunks
- Place the peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes on a large baking tray, drizzle with the oil and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the stock by dissolving the stock cube in 1 pint (570ml) of boiling water.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and empty into a large saucepan, add the stock and seasoning, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and, using a blender (hand or jug) blend the soup until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy.
Why this is good for you
Peppers are high in vitamin C and B6 and flavonoids. They also contain capsaicin, a natural painkiller considered to be useful for arthritic pain. Red peppers contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are useful for certain eye conditions.
There is vitamin C in tomatoes as well as lycopene, a phytochemical with powerful anti-cancer properties. Once tomatoes have been heated lycopene is more readily available to the body then in raw tomatoe.