- 60ml (2 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1.5 litres (2 1/2 pints) vegetable stock
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 150g ( 5 1/2 oz) green peas
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1cm (1/2 inch) pieces
- 85g (3oz) baby spinach leaves, torn into pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic and celery until lightly browned. Add the courgette and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the green beans, peas, asparagus and spinach. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season well with cracked black pepper
- For extra taste, serve with a little dollop of pesto
Why this is good for you
This is one amazing soup. The celery alone reduces acidity, which is beneficial in cases of arthritis, gout and stomach acidity. It's also a natural diuretic, helping to reduce fluid retention as well as balancing PH levels. Once you add the onion, broccoli, courgette, garlic, green beans, peas, asparagus and spinach, you have an ultimate power soup, which helps feed every cell in the body and flush out the waste.