This recipe is taken from:
- 1 orange (peeled, but leave on the white pith)
- 1 inch thick slice of a medium pineapple
- 4 pieces organic chocolate (use fairtrade, above 80 per cent cocoa solids)
- 1/2 banana (fairtrade if possible)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat live yogurt
- Juice the orange and pineapple.
- Grate chocolate into the blender (mind your fingers!) and add banana, yogurt, juice and ice.
- Blend everything until smooth - sooooo tasty!
Why this is good for youIt may come as a surprise that chocolate has made it into a recipe for the little ones, but the only chocolate used here is over 80 per cent cocoa. It is also organic and fairtrade (the most important aspect). The incredible amount of goodness found in the combination of fresh banana, orange, pineapple and live yogurt more than quash any negative effect the chocolate may have, and if it's the only way the little chaps will consume fruit then it's all for the greater good.
Contains friendly bacteria, calcium, vitamins A, B6 and C, sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, folic acid, phosphorus, zinc, beta-carotene, fibre, natural sugars, amino acids and anti-oxidants.
Live yogurt helps to replenish the friendly bacteria in the gut, helping to prevent any overgrowth of yeast. Calcium helps neutralize an acidic system and is, of course, good for the bones and teeth. The juice contains nature's natural balance of sodium and potassium, one of the key factors of good health, and even the dark chocolate contains some anti-oxidants. This is an extremely balanced smoothie that tastes naughty but is still extremely good for your kids.